Jewellery & Metal (MA)

Lili Murphy-Johnson

I like to question / poke-at habits and social norms.

Having studied Jewellery Design at Central Saint Martins, graduating with a BA in 2015, I worked an intensive ten month internship with the jeweller Shaun Leane. I subsequently spent the next five years working at London jewellers The Great Frog and with engraver Castro Smith. Whilst learning the traditional craft of fine and luxury jewellery in industry, I was also busy developing my own subversive jewellery collections on the side.

In 2021 I was awarded the Griffin Scholarship to study MA Jewellery and Metal at the RCA. Here I want to test the boundaries of what I understand jewellery and making to be, focusing on the relationship between an object, a person’s body, and the environment around them.

Degree Details

School of Arts & Humanities

Jewellery & Metal (MA)

The key words I have settled on to guide me in 2022 are: Intimacy, Power, and Objectification. My practice is currently focussed on exploring how the power dynamics between subjects and objects can be flipped in a playful and experimental way. I am interested in exploring the topics of objectification and the male gaze using twists of context to hopefully provide a light hearted questioning of what is happening in our society.

I plan to continue to develop these key themes further as my research progresses, expanding on audience participation and the focus on the interaction between audience, object and environment as an integral part of my research process.

Pair of Melons — (Watch with sound on)
Labias of London
Labias of London

Experimenting with site specific work, I looked for cracks and slits on the walls of Brick Lane to mimic human anatomy. In response to the number of adverts for labiaplastys that I have come across in my research on vulvas, I created these large asymmetric flaps to be added to the walls opening.

Page from sketchbook
Air Dancer Test

I am currently exploring inflatable objects that have unpredictable and overpowering characteristics to them.