Jewellery & Metal (MA)

Lois Lo

Lois Lo is a jewellery maker based in London. She graduated from Central Saint Martins in Jewellery design, and was awarded the Graduate Prize for Outstanding Design by Annouska, also awarded for Excellence in Non-Precious Metalwork by The Worshipful company of Tin Plate Workers alias Wire Workers company. Lois has been working in experimental formats, exploring material’s potential by physically working with them and testing its limits, and finding unique characteristics in each material. Lois’ work has been based on non-precious metals such as brass and copper, as she believes the designer can change the value of base metals. She hopes to explore other organic material while considering the environmental impacts.  

Metal is the material that connects the earth to the human body as mankind often wear metal as accessories. Material experimentation has always been the main drive for creativity, but do we ever consider the provenance and consequences of using earth’s resources? As a jeweller, we work closely with earth’s materials like metal and gemstones, these finite resources are never to be thought again other than shiny wearables that accessorise our daily lives. 

Through working with natural materials, this work in progress attempts to purvey the importance of sustainably consciousness as an artist, as well as utilising natural materials to create everyday jewellery. Questioning the fine line between mindless creativity and conscious designing. 

This project hopes to explore the idea of minimalist designing and experimental methods to create wearable jewellery. Finding ways to minimise negative effects on the environment by decreasing the use of gas and soldering, as well as creating my own “gemstone” using natural materials. Attempting to create commercially looking jewellery while be aware of global issues. 

Which came first? The Chicken or the egg? — Questioning the relationship between subject <> object <> thing <> matter <> material? The order of importance, the relationship between matters, what comes first; the chicken or the egg?Reading Object Relation Theory by Melanie Klein, emphasises on our biological drives and instincts on objects. What would be my instinct for an egg?
Rolling Egg — My strongest emotion towards an egg ; when the egg is about to roll off the table, my natural instinct was to catch the fragile object while feeling tension in that split moment. I want to portray this emotion of tension and protectiveness over a delicate object in my collection.
Idea Development — Working on the body, finding ways to balance an egg on parts of the body where we have the least amount of control. Minimising the use of material to support the egg, creating the largest emotional compact possible.
Brass Models Tests — To see if the egg would balance on different parts of the body.
Final Pieces
Final Pieces — A range of brass wire pieces that can be worn on the shoulder, wrist to forearm, head, finger and back of the hand while balancing an egg, allowing the wearer to experience the tension as if the egg is about to fall.
Nearly Dropped an Egg! — Wearing the wrist piece, trying to walk without dropping an egg, nearly dropping it at the end.

Reflections // Refractions — Exploring nature’s shiny surfaces.
Research into UK and Personal Consumption — Researching waste and recycling in the UK, estimation of material exhaustion from current rate of consumption, as well as calculating as a jewellery maker, how much pollution I am creating every time I use gas torches.
Museum Research — An extension of research from visiting museums, recording and analysing different methods of setting objects.
In Response to Museum Research — In response to Museum of Brands, how could I enclose gems in unique ways.
Experimentation — Enclosing gemstones with one sheet of metal.
Experimentation — Experimenting with different types of metal, what can a single sheet of material allow me to do without using any external tools and resources.
Measuring Shininess — Investigating natural discarded material and insects alongside refractive index.