FAME (Footwear, Accessories, Millinery, Eyewear)

Reiss Dendie

My design practice explores the idea of craft in shoe making, led by sustainable methodologies when exploring materiality and construction. Often informed by advanced industrial processes, the technological aspect purposely may not be apparent as I seek to employ crude, domestic, interpretations of the systems I am inspired by. 

This approach is influenced  by my own thoughts on: “The void capitalism left behind...” Which often navigates the social, geographic and political dynamics as it relates to my perceived social class, ethnicity and lack of access. In the attempt to develop artefacts which best serve communal practices or individual events.

I believe my aesthetic to be both performative and esoteric within the context of how my work responds to the lived experience.  

SUSTAINABLE FORMS - ART 001
Model - Rehana Nelson / Photographer - Christian Cassiel / Movement Director - Alice Tatge

Sustainable forms Art: 001

​Sustainable forms, a concept driven by the exploration of both form & aesthetic using sustainable materials. In this case canvas made from recycled fibres.

​My intention is to develop a construction deemed unconventional compared to industrial operations and considered economical unviable when using conventional raw materials.

​This approach Is my attempt to make an argument for the uses of sustainable materials. Although canvas is no longer considered a revolutionary material, industrialized in the footwear industry for the manufacture of athletic shoes, little exploration has occurred since regarding its potential materiality.

​My argument being that of affordance, the aesthetic of excessiveness can have an overwhelming dramatic appeal often associated with luxury at high cost. But what if I where able to reduce the cost whilst achieving a luxurious / desirable aesthetic using a sustainable material. 

​For example, the average cow hide is 40sqft sold at an average cost of £110 compared to a recycled canvas of the same size the cost is £29 a %75 reduction price. Understanding the difference in cost and margins I can now explore alternative applications for the recycled canvas which would be 

affordable yet desirable for the consumer. The design language for article 001 is predicated on understanding the values of affordance.

Medium:

Recycled Cotton
SUSTAINABLE FORMS - ART 001
Model - Alice Tatge / Photographer - Christian Cassiel / Movement Director - Alice Tatge

The intention when developing article 002 was to explore an augmented 3D materiality. To develop an aesthetic which would be led by a process. I use the term augmented as the pattern was constructed as a true fit to the last. Without the aid of using 3D digital programs the next step was to explore a process which would enable me to explore form within the Z axis thus augmenting my pattern from the X-Y plane.

A key element for me during this project was sustainability, understanding the need to be sustainable would also mean allowing for practice led by this ethos. Inspired by closed loop manufacturing systems the product development of article 002 was to follow a circular economy recycling the waste material from the pattern cutting process.

Challenged with finding practical ways to recycle, I develop a process which involved shredding the waste product and using it fill 3D structures. These structures where then integrated as part of the footwear construction between the upper and lining. Once stitched and secured the upper pattern would appear to be augmented. The visual language of this current work has been led by sustainable processes. No sketches where produced before the first iteration only after the pattern was finalised to further understand what this product could look like

Medium:

Recycled Cotton
Indelible Marks Art: 001

Exploring materiality through creating indelible marks. - The wearer is able to customise their sneaker via a medium of choice: Burn, Paint, Cut if you will... - Each alteration remains indelible till the next iteration. - Upper consist of 4 layers with a final layer of leather

FIX POINTS, media item 1

Anne Tyrrell Memorial Fund