Sculpturewear

Rooya Rasheed

Rooya is a multidisciplinary designer and artist currently based in London. With a background in art and product design, she is very much influenced by objects and sculpture. They are part of her identity, she has been surrounded by them since she was young and they have existed within her environment of Maldives and Melbourne.

During her childhood in Maldives, topics regarding the climate and overpopulation were discussed and this continued on whilst she did her BA in Industrial Design at RMIT, where she was introduced to further topics such as sustainability, product lifecycle, waste, materiality, inclusivity and community. These themes are heavily integrated into everything she designs, whether it be artefacts or systems. The idea of using existing waste materials and the concept of makeshift are ever present in her work.

Show Location: Battersea campus: Studio Building, Third floor

Rooya Rasheed-statement

Rooya’s work is about her identity as a Maldivian having moved to Australia at a young age in the 90s. Her work is a response to the effects of post migration and integration - and a form of preservation of her home country, should they lose their land in the future due to rising sea levels. She expresses this intuitively through sculptures and artefacts by reusing waste materials. Focusing on the symbolism and provenance of objects, where she juxtaposes imported elements with existing natural materials. A dualism that has been present throughout her upbringing.

Scenes and Settings, media item 1
Scenes and Settings, media item 2
Scenes and Settings, media item 3
Scenes and Settings, media item 4
Scenes and Settings, media item 5
Scenes and Settings, media item 6
Scenes and Settings, media item 7
Scenes and Settings, media item 8
Scenes and Settings, media item 9
Scenes and Settings, media item 10
Scenes and Settings, media item 11
Scenes and Settings, media item 12
Scenes and Settings, media item 13
Scenes and Settings, media item 14

Some research images of my own of the scenes and settings of Maldives. Originally my final work began with my curiosity into finding more about my grandfather who was a sailor but sadly passed away the year I moved to Australia in the 90s.

"The Wallflower" - Intuitive Waste Sculptures, media item 1
"The Wallflower" - Intuitive Waste Sculptures, media item 2
"The Wallflower" - Intuitive Waste Sculptures, media item 3
"The Wallflower" - Intuitive Waste Sculptures, media item 4
"The Wallflower" - Intuitive Waste Sculptures, media item 5
"The Wallflower" - Intuitive Waste Sculptures, media item 6
"The Wallflower" - Intuitive Waste Sculptures, media item 7
"The Wallflower" - Intuitive Waste Sculptures, media item 8

Using found waste materials, she made several sculptures that were intuitive and makeshift. She found herself fitting them together at points where they would meet organically. She then wanted to question and explore her process.

The process of fitting objects together reflects her upbringing in Australia, having stepped away from her culture as a form of survival during the racism she faced as a child. Conversations she had with her parents and extended family to learn about their past and upbringing, to learn more about her culture, to remember her language, as she is a product of her parents and grandparents and great grandparents. A journey to learn about herself through trying to discover about them. 

Finally returning to her roots, upon realisation of the change that occurred when she emigrated to Australia at the age of 8 in the 90s. Once a loud and extroverted child to a quiet child who just wanted to blend in and be a wallflower. Like her sculptures, it was important for her to find a meeting point amongst strangers or people that didn't look like her. Much like her found waste materials which are assembled together, connecting at unlikely points.

Meeting Point, Metal and Glass
Meeting Point, Metal and Glass
Meeting Point, Metal and Glass
Meeting Point, Metal and Glass
Meeting Point, Metal and Glass
Meeting Point, Metal and Glass
Meeting Point, Metal and Glass

An ongoing collaboration with RCA MA Ceramics and Glass artist Dovile Grigaliunaite. We investigate, explore and question our similar process within our work. It's called a 'Meeting Point' between two individuals that come together and juxtaposes two different materials to find a place where they fit and form a relationship with one another. Creating tension and finding a balance.

The first metal and glass sculpture has 3 glass blown pieces. Originally this piece was positioned horizontally, now we have it vertical and standing upright. The glass pieces hold the metal sheet at three different points. Without one of the glass pieces, the metal sheet will not stand on its own. It needs the support of all three of the glass pieces to do so. In a way it represents the instability, fragility and uncertainty of our future. The metal represents water and the sea levels rising and the glass represents sand and the importance of land in regards to cultures and histories, specifically Maldives. I like the way, both materials work with light and how they reflect, just like the ocean when under the sun and moon.

The second glass sculpture originally had one glass piece, now it has two. Like the previous sculpture, it cannot stand on its own with one of the glass pieces as it would topple over. In a way this represents balance and stability with the reliance of two glass bodies that keep it together and functioning. 

Medium:

Metal and Glass
Headwear, media item 1
Headwear, media item 2
Headwear, media item 3
Headwear, media item 4
Headwear, media item 5
Headwear, media item 6
Headwear, media item 7
Headwear, media item 8

Unconventional Headwear - the idea of multi purpose and the ability to transform into something else. From a makeshift chair to metal and glass sculptures to head pieces.

This is my grandpa on the left, or in dhivehi, we call him kaafa. There are not many photos of him but I love this one as he is wearing a hat and it made me connect in a way to him. On the right is my great grandma also known as munimaama, she posing in front of her friend’s garden. She used to carry a shisha and make pineapple flavour by using pineapple skins. So I decided to make a smell for my metal hats, using a wax. I asked all of the family members to tell me what smell reminded them of their parents and great grandparents, as smell is very much connected to past memories.

Joali, media item 1
Joali, media item 2
Joali, media item 3
Joali, media item 4
Joali, media item 5
Joali, media item 6
Joali, media item 7
Joali, media item 8

Joali, in dhivehi means chair. Growing up, they were a reminder of connection and a meeting point where islanders; or families and friends will sit at different points of the day. They would located all around the island. Some have them in or outside their homes. It is also a place where you can have tea or known in dhivehi as sai.

The chairs are specific to the Maldives, simple in its make by using what was readily available on the islands. Originally in wood, now can be found in materials such as metal and repurposed fishing nets.

Using found waste metal materials, I did some quick sculptures as an ode to the original from a diasporic view. And then in the end it became a makeshift chair assembled from the hats I had made. It can be positioned in any way the user would like. I wanted it to be two things and the ability to transform into something else. I admire when something isn’t perfect or the way it should be. I like when things are different and when it stands out. The opposite of a wallflower. I like it when it is makeshift and the idea of using what you have. Because when you have limited resources, you find ways to make use of things in ways you wouldn’t.