Sound Design

Shangyun Wu

I am a sound and media researcher, designer and creative technologist from Taiwan. Prior to joining the RCA I worked for a pop science media company, and did some independent research for Academia Sinica in Taiwan. Meanwhile, I composed music for social media advertising films too. I am fascinated by the process of bridging these two worlds.

Performances

2021 Rising, Warming, Melting 》AIR ( COP26 ) Soundcamp & IKLECTIK London ( UK )

2016 Taipei Impropotu 》P Festival with Berlin Quartet ( TW )

Awards

2022 ( WIP )《 Hyper Arts Impact 》 Taoyuan Technology Performing Arts Award ( TW )

2021 《 Supporting outh Art Development Subsidy Program 》 Ministry of Culture of Taiwan ( TW )

2021 《 Interactional Art Exchange Grants 》 National Culture and Arts Foundation ( TW )

2021 《 Interactional Art Exchange Grants 》 Taipei Cultural Affairs ( TW )

2020The Art Of Marine Science 》 Winner, Science Gallery Venice ( IT )

Exhibitions

2021In Between 》 Online ( TW )

2020In Between 》 Science Gallery Venice ( IT )

Above are selected CVs. 

Since starting IED, “ SOUND+MEDIA ” has been the research topic for me, aiming to shift perspective from how information is sent to how it is sought for shaping the human's communication patterns, especially focusing on sonic information. Therefore, I created two projects as my research project - “ Sound, Skin, Vibroscape” and “ I, AI create together - ShangAvatar ” as the experiment and forecasting for futuristic sonic research in media scenarios.

Sound, Skin, Vibroscape

“ Sound, Skin, Vibroscape '' aims to explore the information which is revealed in the vibroscape and design a speculative communication device with  that sonic vibroscape information for physically remote people to feel like they are in the same space at the same time.

I, AI Create Together - ShangAvatar

“ I, AI Create Together - ShangAvatar '' is a project that aims to clone myself for my music career which takes lots of sociable activities, meanwhile, creating music with the AI clonded by myself.

— “ Sound, Skin, Vibroscape ” - Visual Design
— “ Sound, Skin, Vibroscape ” - Background
— “ Sound, Skin, Vibroscape ” - Modeling
— “ Sound, Skin, Vibroscape ” - Wearable Design
— “ Sound, Skin, Vibroscape ” - Programming and Interaction Design
— “ Sound, Skin, Vibroscape ” - Development
— “ Sound, Skin, Vibroscape ” - Sonic Research

“ Sound, Skin, Vibroscape ” aims to explore the information which is revealed in the vibroscape and design a speculative communication device with  that sonic vibroscape information for physically remote people to feel like they are in the same space at the same time.  The project is developed from my previous “ Keep In Sonic Touch ” and “ Sound Via Metaverse ” project.

Medium:

Soundscape, Contact Microphone, Vibration Motor, 3D Print Materials, Arduino

Size:

TBD

Read more

— “ I, AI Create Together - ShangAvatar ” - Voice & Sound Experiment
— “ I, AI Create Together - ShangAvatar ” - Interactive Multimodal Systems

Musician as a career path needs to face a huge amount of audience, media press and so forth. It takes lots of sociable activities for showcasing the identity as an artist in order to earn more opportunities. The above mentioned social activities is what I am not good at.  Therefore, I came up with the idea of taking the advantages of the AI for replacing the sociable role of my life as a musician, including performing and having the conversation with other people after performing.

Nowadays, artificial intelligence is around us, playing the role like assistants and even friends. Obviously, AI is partly capable of joining human’s society with a sociable role. The potential possibilities bring me use of artificial intelligence as the toolkit for developing ShangAvatar and the music created with ShangAvatar.

Medium:

AI, Text, Voice, 3D model, Face Movement, Sensors

Size:

TBD

Design Education Trust - 4D Project Awards