Knitwear

Weilin Song

Weilin Song is a digital knit artist and AI system concept designer based in China and London.

She completed a bachelor's degree in knitted clothing at the Beijing Institute of Fashion Technology, advocating the symbiotic relationship and coupling relationship between humans and computers. She loves interdisciplinary fields of work, the dream is to build a computer system that serves individuals.

A unique understanding of computers is that if one looks at the system on a macro level, it stretches from repetitive computation to touching on small changes that go on and on. When the data is large enough, models similar to fractal theory inevitably emerge, giving rise to new “errors” in the true sense of the word - chaos. This chaos will bring about a new culture. 

“Chaos often breeds life, when order breeds habit.”- Henry Adams

Machine learning brings an understanding of the human senses to computers, while also producing a unique understanding of this chaos.

Weilin Song combined the visual and semantic cognition of the computer feeds the user. Complement the user's expressive logic with imperfect computer cognitive systems.

In the future, the author will continue to explore the possibilities in the form of brain-computer interface plug-ins. It will be combined with the sense of smell and taste that has been disassembled by the computer, to reconstruct multiple information and extend the latitude of thinking. 

The Chaos in AR
3D outcome for knit
Personal Gene Processing — For the planar vision I chose a large number of tools and codes to convert text into images using the content MEME Idea obtained from the AI semantics as input data for the brainwave part. In the end the algorithm of DALL-E mini was chosen as it was more in line with my principles and imaginative in the combination of elements. I have since tried to build up my own visual aesthetic gene pool and to make a secondary transformation of the content reached.
Model 1 — 3D visual space is one of the elements of the visual senses. The author brings computer learning and understanding of the depth of space into 2D images.
Model 2

Weilin Song is committed to building a visual expression system that serves the user. By simulating the processing form of information by dreaming, dreamers learn and reconstruct big data and user data through machine learning, and produce content from the user's perspective.

At this stage in the vision of the system, the computer, by learning about human cognition, can generate language, images, sounds that provide inspiration to the user and contain a special understanding of the computer. The system is ultimately an output module for users, which speaks what they see instead of. It is a system that can be personally stylized, that goes through users memory, experience, logic and finally produces a model that resembles something that is only they. In the long run, it is hoped that this could be used as one of the plug-ins for a brain-computer interface, creating dreams for the users.

Medium:

Computer code, Machine learning
Biomorpher Simulation
Knit on Body
Knitverse Building
Model Building
3D Knit Model — Use the brainwave as the original input data.
The Knitverse

This project continues the results of the visualization of brain waves in previous projects. I set simple instructions to maximize the initiative of the machine. I and the machine complement each other, and the final result is constituted by our decision.

So far, the strong visual impact made me begin to discover the complementary role of the machine to me. The reason why I chose to use this process to be fascinated by these forms is due to my personal gaps in language and visual expression, so machine language is the outlet of my expression. It is supplementing me and guiding me. This fascination and dependence made me feel a symbiosis.

Medium:

3D Model