Mixed Media

Flora Scott

Flora Scott is a sensory led material designer based in London. She graduated with a BA in Textile Design from Falmouth University, Cornwall. Since then, she has worked in various fine art and sustainable design fields which subsequently led her to think further about how and why she creates. 

Flora’s practice focuses on observing our connection between senses, emotion, and nature, and how perception can be altered to determine how we feel both physically and emotionally. She explores how this can be conveyed through a combination of woven textural pieces, sensory led drawing, and photography. 

Show Location: Battersea campus: Studio Building, Third floor

Flora Scott-statement

A Remembering of Air

“Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, we love the colours and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them” – Junichiro Tanizaki

My work explores notions regarding senses, emotions, and natural environments. I use these as a form of expression for people to gain a deeper understanding of these concepts.

This work aims to express a material and colour narrative of two specific locations Oxfordshire and Cornwall. Both hold a strong emotional connection to me, I am inspired by their differing landscapes, material formations and atmospheric weather. Their contrasting environments allow me to reflect on how I interpret my surroundings into physical woven sculptural pieces.

A Remembering of Air , media item 1
A Remembering of Air , media item 2
A Remembering of Air , media item 3
An exploration into soft colour and texture, media item 1

The Burberry Design Scholarship